Friday, September 09, 2005

Stories... Symbols of Spirit

by Geffry Fields
geffry@interlinc.net

So much of Spiritual principles of life are not comprehended with our intellectual mind.

We try to rationalize Spirit, using logic and other means and it just falls short. Our thoughts, and intellectual abilities just can't really grasp Spirit and It’s Intelligence. That’s why Jesus emphasized faith. It works, Spirit works in a superior intelligence strata, but it is beyond us to figure out how it works. We just know it works.

In the Bible, Jesus used stories with a Spiritual principle woven into them to teach them Spiritual systems. So many of the things we take literally from reading the Bible are more allegorical... a story, example with an illustration. In other words, Jesus was saying “…to understand what this is in Spirit, it may be more like this…”

Sometimes we wonder why Jesus healed many using so many different ways.
Some he just spoke to. Once he put mud in someone’s eyes.... made from his own saliva and dirt. Was he just a creative guy who just liked variety. I feel in most cases He was trying to get across a Spiritual point... an analogy we could use so that our human intellectual “limitations” could grasp his point.

Baptisms and Rituals
Three forms of baptisms are mentioned in the Bible. One was in water to note that we are washed clean of an old way of living, thinking and we take on a totally new way. The other was to know His Spirit would totally saturates our human make-up and we would be a representative of Spirit just like Him, Jesus Spirit in us, living in us. A third was the baptism of death to human limitations… our society's influence on how we do things and the ways we think. A death to our personal destructive appetites which bring us harm.

Some like to continue to practice rituals. They were very popular with the religious society of Jesus' day.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having a ritual. Some practice a lot of rituals. Many of these can be a reminder of something of value it stands for.

The danger is when we make the ritual itself sacred. That there is something in the ritual that makes things right, or changes things. Everything comes back to the heart, the mind. As the Jesus Follower, Paul, said all these things have no value within themselves. What matters is a change of heart, mind and soul. (These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, humility, and severe bodily discipline. But they have no effect when it comes to conquering a person's evil thoughts and desires, Col. 2:23, The Bible)

Stories help us to Grasp Spirit Intelligence
Examples, illustrations, stories can have their benefit when they help us understand what the Jesus Spirit is up to in our lives.

Jesus used the example of the grain of wheat. He said a grain of wheat must die before it can grow and be productive… produce more wheat. We too, must let our intellectual, emotional and psychological dependence die to see Spirit productive in our lives. These interfere because they get in the road, are like weeds around wheat, and are inferior to Spirit.

The story about how wheat germinates is the same way we must “germinate” to become powerful in Spirit. (A seed must gain 30% additional water weight to germinate. It also must be in a high water content in the soil for about 3 days.)

We can use stories, illustrations to create Spiritual meaning as well.

Try to influence people through stories versus laying down the law with rules. Tell a story that illustrates your point. When you have a profound Spiritual thought, ask the Spirit to give you a story on how to explain this to someone.

I had a wise business owner explain almost every business principle he learned with a story. He would share something that happened to him in business and what he learned from it.

People like stories and they can get involved with stories.

As a child I used to walk around the pastures after I took the cows out to pasture. I walked the streams, climbed hills, sat on the top of a hill and looked at the clouds floating above the mountains of Pennsylvania.

It was an inspiring moment. I knew a Spirit of the Universe loomed around everything. There was much peace, intrigue, desire for adventure. Each day I would take a different way back to the house.

I would walk a couple miles wondering, thinking, observing, dreaming. Jesus Spirit then was descending around me. It was like when the Spirit, looking like a Dove, come on Jesus when He was baptized. That's where I was baptized... with Spiritual Awareness.

The Spirit of Jesus Himself come on me at those moments. Joy, happiness walked with me at those times. It's not the ritual that brings the Spirit to you. It's not the technique you apply. It's allowing the Spirit that is naturally there to mold, mend, mine into your heart.

On those walks around the land, I never tried to figure things out.
I just knew. It was just there.


A character was being formed in Me. How, what…caused it. I have no clue. It just happened. Jesus Spirit was at work in me.

The ancient prophet said… God would put Spirit in every One’s heart and everyone would know Spirit, interact with Spirit… Spirit, God, Jesus Spirit personally Himself would teach you, the prophet said.

I learned that early in life. Jesus Spirit Himself was teaching me then. I live with that fixed in me. I don’t ever see God forsaking me for any reason. He Is, and always has been there. I get sad when I do things that may displease Him. He has offered to be my good, faithful buddy in all things. I sometimes shortchange my role in that. He has never done that to me. He was always there when I asked for Him.
Always!

There is one absolute of Jesus Spirit I see for sure in my life…
He is There… Always!

My behavior never makes Him go away. I may push Him away. But,
He is there… Always!.

When I do push Him away, I see Him become sad. I see His tears for me. When I realize what I have done, I then shed tears. I have pushed away a very faithful friend..
He is There… Always!

That’s how I know… Jesus is Us. I see Him in everyone.
I am part of you: you are part of me.

Jesus in us is One between us… Jesus is Us.

Everyone I see, I see Jesus Spirit wanting to walk the hills of My Heart as One Together in Him.
I feel tears when I see someone push Him away. But like Him I wait for One to welcome Jesus Spirit into Our Heart….
Jesus Spirit is there… Always.

As you become sad and receive His presence in you again, we share our happiness.
Then We, Jesus Spirit in you and Me, are Together.

Jesus Is Us….
In our hearts, we are happy!


No comments: