Monday, February 04, 2013

Secret of the Master’s Indwelling (4) ... Entering His Rest

by Dale Shumaker
Spirit Savvy Network
www.spiritsavvy.net

Finding your mission, Empowering your life through prayer,
Becoming a Missionary in the Marketplace
Leading others to be Missionaries in the Marketplace


The Secret of the Master's Indwelling is about digging our roots deep into God’s soil that bears fruit abundantly and gives us strength Supernaturally. Andrew Murray shows what we must do and be to become stalwarts of Faith.

Secret of the Master’s Indwelling, Chapter 4, Entering His Rest:

Let us therefore enter into His rest.

How does a man enter into that rest?

The first step, I think, is this: that a man learns to say, “I believe, heartily, there is rest in a life of faith.”

In the wilderness, wandering for forty years, backward and forward; —a life of ups and downs. The life in the wilderness was a life of want. In the wilderness there was no victory.

And so God waits, and Christ waits, and the Holy Spirit waits, to give victory every day;  in union with Christ a power that can say, “I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.” “We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.” May God help every heart to say that.

The second step. I want you to say not only, “I believe there is such a life,” but, second, “I have not had it yet.

The third word I want you to speak and that is: “Thank God, that life is for me.”

The fourth step, and that is: “I can never, by any effort of mine, grasp it; it is God must bestow it on me.” I want you to be very bold in saying, “It is for me.”
“Will you trust your God to work this in you?” Dearly beloved Christians, say in your heart: “I never, by any effort, can take hold of God, or seize this for myself; it is God must give it.”

God will do it. People wonder, and ask why it is they cannot believe. There is just one answer: It is self. Self is working; is trying; is struggling, and self must fail. But when you come to the end of self and can only cry, “Lord, help me! Lord, help me!”—then the deliverance is nigh; believe that. It was God brought the people in. It is God who will bring you in.

One should be willing, for the sake of this rest, to give up everything. The grace of God is very free. It is given without money and without price.  You have to give up everything. You have to give up all that is good in yourself and to be humbled in the dust of death. And that is not all. Your past religious life and experience and successes—you have to give all up and become nothing, that God alone may have the glory.

Oh, do take this step and say: “I am ready to give up everything to have this pearl of great price; my time, my attention, my business, I count all subordinate to this rest of God as the first thing in my life; I yield all to walk in perfect fellowship with God.”

The fifth step, and that is to say: “I do now give up myself to the holy and everlasting God, for Him to lead me into this perfect rest.”

The heart of God is yearning over you. “My child,” God says, “you think you are longing for rest; it is I that am longing for you, because I desire to rest in your heart as My home, as My temple.” You need your God. Yes, but your God needs you, to find the full satisfaction of His Father heart in Christ in you. Come to-day and say: “I do now give up myself to Christ. I have made the choice. I deliberately say, ‘Lord God, I am the purchaser of the pearl of great price. I give up everything for it. In the name of Jesus I accept that life of perfect rest.’”

“Oh, God, I ask, I expect, I trust Thee for it. I enter this day into the rest of God to let God keep me; to let God keep me every hour. I enter into the rest of God.” Are you ready to say that? Be of good courage; fear not, you can trust God. He brings into rest.

Trust Him to-day afresh: “O my Joshua, take me, bring me in and I will trust Thee, and in Thee the Father.” You may count upon it. He will take you and the work will be done.”

The complete chapter on  Entering His Rest::
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/murray/indwelling.vii.html
The Christian Classics Ethereal Library and many great classic works on Christian Growth, by the best of the Saints of Old who’s works have been passed down through the ages.


No comments: